Well, I had a bit of fun with the last Game of Thrones project which was the throne with all the swords in it. I figured it would be fun to do another one. And it sure was. talking about it with one of the employees she came up with the idea of casting another coin. This time it could be Arya’s coin, which is the coin of the faceless man. Sure enough, great idea so I went ahead and did that.
Funny thing about it though which is the way life is.
Before I started the project I checked to see that I had all the materials including the OOMOO rubber compound which is needed to make the rubber mold for casting the coins. Yup! Plenty of it.
So I moved forward with the project, sculpted the coin, etc. Come time to cast the rubber mold I open up the jug of rubber and it was rubberized, hardened and dries. Yikes! and Drats!
So, off to amazon.com to order it. That will take a week. Then it was off to five different arts and crafts stores to try to get some rubber for mold. Nada! Nothing anywhere. I was quite in a pickle and I really wanted to finish the project. I needed the get the youtube video posted.
At one of the stores I spotted something called Super Mold Putty and I grabbed it on the off chance it would be an adequate substitute. I figured it was worth a try.
It is really easy stuff and quite a bit different than the oomoo rubber which is pourable and takes hours to dry. The super mold putty is two clays you mix together, wrap around your object, then wait twenty minutes.
Well! Much to my surprise it worked really well. The mold was terrific and the duplicate coins were perfect. And the Super mold putty has a heat tolerance of 300 degrees which means I also cast Bismuth coins which only heat to 212 F.
What about all that! Yay! I say. Nice little discovery. I love it when things go wrong. Sometimes it is actually right. The process is easier, quicker and cheaper! Here is a pic of me taking the metal coin out of the mold.