The two biggest challenges with painted miniatures are fading colors and paint flaking. Over time the paint on your miniatures can fade. And over time and with handling the paint can actually chip and flake right off the miniatures.
One of the most important things you can do is prime your miniatures before painting them. This will have a dramatic effect on how the miniature looks, how well it paints and how long it lasts. Primer is specially made to adhere well. It will resist flaking and peeling, consequently it will help prevent the paint from flaking and peeling.
The typical primers are either white, black, or gray. And which you choose is a matter of choice. I tend to go with the gray because it seems to give a little bit better distinction to the shapes of the miniature. It makes it a little easier to see and paint.
Here is another picture showing a piece that has the underside of the horse painted. This picture simply shows you the resolution between the primed horse and the painted section.
Sealing your Miniature is the best way to keep it preserved for long periods of time. Some kind of a spray on sealer should be used. Although they do make brush on sealers. But I prefer the spray on type. It will preserve it all and it will insure the colors stay vibrant for many years.
This is very important and it makes a big difference in how your miniatures look and in how they maintain over the years. If you can, get paints that are specifically made for miniatures. They are formulated to look good and maintain well in very small amounts. It has something to do with the chemical compounds of the paint.
Storage and Handling
It probably goes without saying but you can extend the life and the look of your miniatures by just following a few basic rules.
- Handle them infrequently - the more you handle them the quicker they will deteriorate. This is because of rubbing and because of the natural oils on your skin. Spraying them with a protective coating will help with this a lot.
- Store them on display and not in a box or bag. Having them jumbled around in a box or other container will quickly chip them and wear them down. Just by them elbowing against each other.
- Keep them out of direct sunlight if possible. Direct sunlight will fade just about all kinds of paints. You can get spray sealer that protects against UV light and that will help.
Some Recommended paints made specifically for Miniatures
Bones Miniatures Learn to Paint Kit Reaper Miniatures
Vallejo Medieval Colors paint set
- Model color has been formulated with permanent pigments for fine arts; all colors are completely lightfast and opaque
- The consistency of Model color allows for an extremely smooth and uniform paint film, with no trace of brushstrokes
- The water based formula of Model color has been specifically developed for adherence on difficult surfaces such as metal and plastic
The Citadel Base Paint Set
- The Citadel Base Paint Set contains 1 S Base brush and 11 pots of Citadel paint.
- Paints Include: 1 Leadbelcher, 1 Macragge Blue, 1 Waaagh! Flesh, 1 Bugman's Glow, 1 Mephiston Red, 1 Mournfang Brown, 1 Abaddon Black, 1 Ceramite White, 1 Zandri Dust, 1 Averland Sunset and 1 Balthasar Gold.
CItadel Hobby Starter Set by Games Workshop
- Comes with 1 Starter Brush, 1 pair of Fine Detail Cutters, 1 small sheet of tufts and 1 bottle of Plastic Glue (20ml).
- The Citadel Hobby Starter Set contains 13 pots of Citadel paint and includes: 1 Leadbelcher, 1 Macragge Blue, 1 Waaagh! Flesh, 1 Bugman's Glow, 1 Mephiston Red, 1 Mournfang Brown, 1 Abaddon Black, 1 Ceramite White, 1 Zandri Dust, 1 Averland Sunset, 1 Balthasar Gold , 1 Armageddon Dust and 1 Agrax Earthshade.
- Officially Licensed
Krylon 6-Ounce Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating Aerosol Spray
I use this sealant for a lot of things including miniatures. They make a lot of different types and I like this Crystal Clear a lot. You can also buy this stuff in just about any hardware store.
Do you like making projects and exploring a variety of hobbies?
Sign up for my free newsletter. I give you regular updates on hobbies and projects you can make. it is totally free and I don't share your email with anybody.