The following picture shows you the major components of an RC airplane.
Here is a list of these major parts:
- Battery - powers the motor
- Canopy - goes over the cockpit where the "pilot" would sit.
- Cowl - This goes on the front of the airplane covering the motor unit
- Engine/motor - turns the propellor
- Fuselage - the main body of the aircraft
- Landing gear - wheels for the plane to land, typically two in front and one at the rear
- Propellor - turns and impels the aircraft forward
- Recharger - charges up the battery
- Spinner - the front nose of the propellor
- Transmitter - The operator uses this to control the aircraft
- Wings - gives the plane flight!
Let's take a look at the controls of an aircraft
The picture above shows the important control parts of the aircraft. These are how you control the flight. I have a more in-depth explanation of these parts on this page here: The controls of an RC airplane
- Ailerons - Control Roll (tilts plane so one or other wing goes down/up)
- Elevator - Controls pitch of airplane (up/down)
- Throttle - Speed of airplane
- Rudder - Controls Yaw (turning left/right)
Now let's take a closer look and see the smaller internal components of the aircraft
Inside the fuselage are these parts:
- Receiver/controller - This receives the radio signal from the transmitter and sends the signal to the various servos in the airplane. This is how you control the plane.
- Servos - These are small electrical activated devices that push or pull the control rods
- Control rods - These extend to the moving parts of the aircraft such as the rudder, elevators and ailerons. The motion of these rods move the controlled parts of the plane causing it to change its flight path.
One final part you should know about is the clevis. This is the connection between the control rod and the controllers. In the picture below I have marked an X on the clevis.
P-47D Thunderbolt Giant Scale Kit
The Giant Jug is Here! This is the 1/5 P-47D Thunderbolt "Gold Giant Scale Edition" Airplane Kit. This was modeled after the P-47D-30-RA attached to the 366th Fighter Squadron, 358th Fighter Group, USAAF, Tour, France, 1944.
This 1/5th Scale Warbird boasts Incredible Scale Accuracy, along with the Ease of Assembly made possible by Gold Edition Engineering.
FEATURES: Utilizes Familiar Wood Kit-Building Techniques, Tools and Materials Precisely Interlocking Parts Designed through AUTOCAD, and a thorough Photo-Illustated Manual Helps Guide Modelers Through the Assembly Process. Balsa-sheeted exterior provides an ideal surface for scale finishing.
Easy to Build and Fly for the First Time Giant Scale Modeler In the Air, the Giant P-47D Delivers Scale Flying Performance, and its Large Size makes it Easy To See and Appreciate. IMAA (International Miniature Aircraft Association) Legal Uses a notable elliptical wing platform using the proven S8036 airfoil at the root and the S8037 airfoil at the tip. This Combination delivers excellent flight performance and stability. Fully-Symmetrical Wing Vacuum-Formed ABS Cowl Included Includes instructions and most parts for optional P-47D Razorback version (except Canopy).
INCLUDES: ABS Parts (Cowl, Turbo-Supercharger Cover, Air-Cooler Vents), Clear Bubble Canopy, Pushrods, Full Size Plans, Photo-Illustrated Instructions and All Wood to Complete the Kit and Decals. REQUIRES: Engine: 2.1-2.8 cu in (34.5-45cc) Glow OR 2.5-4.2 cu in (41-70cc) Gas and more.5" Spinner, Propeller, Engine Mount, Fuel Tubing, Easy Filler Fuel Valve, 24-32oz Fuel Tank (see commments on multicylinder option) Main Retracts (see comments), Tailwheel Retract, Air Control Kit. Radio: 6 to 7 Channel Servos: 10 (Standard: 2-Flaps, 1-Retracts, 1-Tailwheel Steering, 1-Throttle High Torque (over 45 oz-in): 2-Elevator, 1-Rudder, 2-Ailerons Y-Harness: 4 (Elevator, Flaps, Ailerons, Rudder/Tail Steering) Servo Extensions and more
P-47 D Thunderbolt Gold Edition Kit .61-.90
Get a classic looking P-47D Thunderbolt with Legendary Gold Edition Quality / in This Great Kit from Top Flite. / / FEATURES: CAD engineered parts make building a breeze / Custom designed Selig airfoils improve flight performance / / INCLUDES: All the wood to build the kit, plastic cowling, clear canopy, nylon / engine mount (adjustable), decal sheet, pushrods, rolled plans, / building instruction book, CA hinges, and miscellaneous hardware. / / SPECS: Wing span: 63" Wing area: 713 sq.in. Length: 55" / Wing Loading: 27-32oz/sq ft Weight: 8-10lbs CG: 3-5/8" back / Airfoils: Root S8036 Tip S8037 from LE / / / REQUIRES: .61-.90 2-stroke or .91-.1.20 4-stroke Engine / 4-7 Channel Radio / 4-8 servos (2 servos for flaps, 1 for retracts, and 1 for bomb drops) / 3-Rolls of Covering and Matching Paint / Building and Field Equipment
Cessna 182 Skylane Gold Edition Kit
The Classic Cessna 182 Looks You Want with Top Flite's Legendary Quality in this 1/5 scale Cessna Skylane. FEATURES: CAD engineered interlocking parts make building a breeze. ABS strips for the control surfaces easily simulate the full-scale Cessna's corrugated Fowler flaps, ailerons, and elevator. INCLUDES: All the Wood to Build the Kit, Plastic Cowling, Clear Lexan Wind- shields, Plastic Wheel Pants, Two-Piece Aluminum Landing Gear, Plastic Wing Fairings, Decal Sheet, Pushrods, Rolled Plans, Instruction Book, Adjustable Engine Mount, and misc. Hardware
The HobbyZone Sports Cub S RC Airplane
- Everything you need to fly RC today
- SAFE technology from Horizon Hobby
- Recovery with the pull of a trigger with Panic Recovery mode
- Proportional 4-channel control with working throttle, rudder, elevator and aileron
- Steerable tail wheel for easy ground control
E-Flite Apprentice S 15e RTF Beginner RC Airplane with SAFE Technology
SAFE technology is a revolutionary leap forward in flight control and training. Key Features SAFE technology provides spatial awareness and flight envelope protection The ideal beginner's choice when learning to fly with an instructor Quick, easy assembly Lightweight and durable Z-Foam construction Powerful 15-size, 840Kv brushless out runner motor installed-flite 30A Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC installed Large, easy-access battery compartment Wide-stance tricycle landing gear Nose wheel steering for better ground handling Powerful 3S 3200mAh 20C Li-Po battery included-Po balancing DC charger included Optional E-flite Apprentice S Floats (EFLA550), available Safe Technology Information Needed To Complete Nothing! Everything you need to get flying is included in the box. Overview The E-flite Apprentice S 15e RTF airplane is the most intelligent RC airplane ever offered by Horizon Hobby.
FlyZone DHC-2 Beaver Select TXR RC Airplane
- FEATURES: Construction: Aero Cell foam with pre-applied decals and tinted plastic windows at canopy area Wing: One-piece design with functional struts
- INCLUDES: Flyzone TX-R DHC-2 Beaver Select Scale Airplane with Brushless Motor, ESC, five Servos, SLT Receiver, Propeller, Instruction Manual, Spinner
- REQUIRES: Compatible SLT transmitter with at least 5 channels LiPo battery: 11.1V 1800mAh 20C battery Charger: AC/DC balancing charger Building
HobbyZone Duet RTF HBZ5300 Airplane
- Duet RTF, Everything you need to teach yourself to fly in one box, even the "AA" batteries for the transmitter
- Purpose of use for RC vehicles, Accessories and parts
- Manufactured in China